Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Results Are In! (Poll #6)

The readers of The Bookshelf have voiced their opinions – the results for the sixth poll, the enjoyment/unenjoyment/neutrality of graphic novels, are in! Graphic novels, known as comic books to many, are stories that are told with pictures. They come in many different forms. There is the original comic book with panels and speech bubbles; manga, which is a Japanese variation of the comic book that reads back-to-front and right-to-left (con.fus.ing); the average novel, with black and white pictures interspersed within the text (examples would be Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Happyface, a book I have reviewed); and there’s the simple picture book. 
Manga

I typically prefer the words of a story over the illustrations. However, the graphic novel is an ever-growing form of literature, art, and fandom. Graphic novels have created new readers and art addicts alike. Due to all the hype and all the expansion of graphic novels, I decided to challenge myself by reading one this month. I chose a graphic novel that would be of interest to me: Anne Frank, the Graphic Biography. Earlier this month I reviewed the original heart-breaking and inspiring novel. I decided that I would like to experience the wonderful tale of willpower and resilience in a different format. A review of Anne Frank, the Graphic Biography will published later today.

On to the results!

The question: Do you like graphic novels? The answer options and results:

  • Yes! They are the only books I read! 2 votes, 15%
  • Yes, I enjoy both novels and graphic novels. 4 votes, 30%
  • They’re OK. The pictures are nice, but I prefer the words. 5 votes 38%
  • No, I don’t read books with pictures. 2 votes, 15%

A collection of comic book onomatopoeia
I’m happy to see that all answer options were voted for; a great sense of a variety of different readers is found on this blog. I’m also happy to see that the third option won because that is my views on graphic novels also! Thirteen votes were recorded for The Bookshelf’s sixth poll. Thirteen is the second highest amount of votes on any poll on The Bookshelf – only to be beat out by Poll #5: Books into Movies, with seventeen votes. Thank you, thank you (thank you) so much to everyone who voted, but I know we can do better! I’m offering an opportunity for us to make a record number of votes on the next poll. That’s right; on Tuesday Poll #7 will be published! It will be open until early/mid July – plenty of time for us to establish a new record for The Bookshelf!

(images via and via)

No comments:

Post a Comment