Sunday, February 6, 2011

Poll #5: Books Into Movies

Since reviewing I Am Number Four, which is being adapted into movie to be released later this month, I’ve had the concept of books into movies in my mind. I think it’s fair to say that the book is almost always better than its movie counterpart, but some movie adaptions hold pretty close to the original book. And there are those that are so far away from the book, it might as well be a whole different story.

The Harry Potter film series is a great example of how a movie can be truthful to the book. They’re not entirely the same, but awfully close. And with the release of the last Harry Potter movie this year, Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows Part II, it’s going to be sad to know that there probably won’t be any more truthful and accurate adaptions for a while.

A good, or bad, example of bad movie adaptions of books is last year’s release of Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. I really shouldn’t talk about this because I’ll just rant on forever, never stopping. Let’s just say I, and millions of others, were greatly upset by the direction they took with the film. And it shows in the critics’ reviews, too. What was really upsetting was that it was directed by Chris Columbus, the same guy that directed the first two Harry Potter films and produced the third (however, he did not discover the New World). I just guess I expected more.

So, you get what I’m saying? Books into movies can be really good or really bad. And I suppose I can see why; most move scripts are 90-175 pages, not like books which are, typically, 250-800 pages. Also, movie producers want to try to make the story their own, unique and special, so I can see how that would cause some changes in the movies, too.

Anyways, let’s get to the main point of this post: the unveiling of a new poll! This is the fifth poll on The Bookshelf, and it’s about the adaption of books into movies and what you, the readers of The Bookshelf, think about them. The poll, as usual, is located on the right side of the page, under the “about me” section. Please, please, please vote! There’s no reason not to – you don’t have to be eighteen to vote here! So far there’s no official, set in concrete, poll closing date yet, but I’m thinking maybe March 12th?

To thank you for reading this unnecessarily too long post, I have included some info about upcoming books into movies release dates in 2011:

I Am Number Four, Feb. 18

Beastly, March 4

Water for Elephants, April 22

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, July 15

The Help, Aug. 12

Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I, Nov. 18

Hugo Cabret, Dec. 9

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Dec. 21 (this is actually the second adaptation of this book)

...

And just because I’m excited about this one,

The Hunger Games, March 23, 2012!

I cannot wait for The Hunger Games movie, if you can’t tell.

Well that’s it, now go vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment