Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Poll #6: Graphic Novels

The graphic novel is an ever-expanding form of literature. Originally only available in the form of the comic book, graphic novels were typically only read by “nerds” and “geeks” and the occasional “dweeb.” However, now the term graphic novel has expanded its definition. Many people, new to both graphic novels and reading itself, have recently discovered the joy of graphic novels and the different varieties in which they are presented. Of course, there’s the original comic book, but there’s also manga, a Japanese form of graphic novels, read from back to front and right to left (talk about confusing…); there’s the novel with pictures, usually black and white, interspersed (think Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Happyface, a book I reviewed); and lastly there’s the picture book – the simple story with simple sentences with simple words. As you can see, graphic novels are a growing form of both literature and art; a storm that has gripped people of all ages.

Manga
I have mentioned previously that I do not care for this form of literature. I greatly prefer words, and the power and wisdom that they offer, over illustrations. After reading Happyface, by Stephen Emond, my stance on graphic novels changed slightly. But Happyface was an exceptionally written novel, with pictures added here and there. So, I suppose I will be able to tolerate the novels with added pictures from now on.  But what about the comics and manga? Unfortunately, I do not see myself liking those types of graphic novels; too many pictures, not enough words.

However, I am always open to new ideas and formats when it comes to books. So for this month of June I, and you, the readers of The Bookshelf, hopefully alongside me, will be reading one graphic novel. Since this is going to be tough for me – I have a difficult time focusing while reading an uninteresting book – I have chosen to read a graphic novel that might appeal to me: Anne Frank, the Graphic Biography. It is an authorized, sponsored the Anne Frank House, edition of The Diary of a Young Girl. I thought it would be appropriate to choose Anne Frank because I just recently reviewed the original edition of the inspiring, heart-stealing diary. This edition of Anne Frank is written/illustrated as a comic book; it has panels and speech bubbles, but still reads front to back, left to right. I will be publishing a review on this edition of The Diary of a Young Girl, however, the review will not focus on the content of the story, but more on the illustrations, the imagery, and how it compares to the original. 

The review for the graphic novel edition of Anne Frank will be published June 18th, the same day that…wait for it…Poll #6 ends! Yes, the wait is finally over (and I know some of you have been waiting a long time)! Today, I present to you a new poll, one that will be asking your opinion on graphic novels! Don’t worry if you’ve never read a graphic novel before, or if you’ve only read one specific type, or even if you are just learning about graphic novels; everyone’s opinion is valuable. 

The question: Do you like graphic novels? You can find the answer options – and vote too! – above the “about me” section on the right side of the page. Vote now! The poll closes on June 18th!

(images via and via)

6 comments:

  1. OM JHOP IM LIKE GONNA CRY TOMARROW. IM GONNA MISS YOU!!!!! I WANNA VISIT YOU AT THE LIBRARY ON SATURDAY BUT I HAVE A GIRL SCOUT THING :( NEXT WEEKEND THEN :) OMMMGGGG IM BRINGING MY CAMERA TOMARROW SO I CAN GET PICS OF EVERYONE :D OK ILL TXT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~CLAMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEHE CLAM IS VOTING TWICE ON THE POLL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SALLY THE COCONUT SAYS HI. PABLO AND PEDRO SAYS THEY WILL MISS U. ALEJANDRO SAYS HE WILL VISIT U EVERYDAY. AND KEVIN SAYS HE HAS HIS EYE ON YOU. LOL. BUT SERIOUSLY ILL MISS U SO MUCH JHOP!!! :( IM GONNA CRY. ILL BRING US BOTH TISSUES. IM UR BFF MORE THEN THE CLAM
    ~UR DANCE PARTNER FOR BORN THIS WAY ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I KNOW HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND IM HIS BFF MORE THAN YOU, MS.TWO-LEFT-FEET. :P
    CLAM RULES ALL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW HIMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! AND NO CLAM IM JHOPS BFFFFFF MORE THAN U MRS. "JUST LIKE OLD TIMS."
    UR DANCE PARTNER FOR BORN THIS WAY RULES ALL. DONT FORGET ABOUT MY LOVER JHOP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous #1 and Anonymous #2:
    I'm going to miss you both, too!
    But let's try to keep all comments to the post and graphic novels!

    ReplyDelete