Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Red Pyramid: A Disappointment

It is very rare for me not to finish a book. Unfortunately, this past week I was unable to finish a book. I was expecting so much from The Red Pyramid, Book 1 in Rick Riordan's new Egyptian mythology series, The Kane Chronicles. I was positive that is was going to be as stellar as Riordan's previous Greek myth series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. However, those dreams were shattered at about page 300. I was so disappointed, that I didn't read the last 200 pages. I found many things wrong with this book. I thought the fact that it was a transcript from an audio recording was odd. I thought the character development was poor. I found the book very bland, with not enough vivid, descriptive settings, and lastly, the plot seemed too similar to Percy Jackson's. At many times the characters and storyline were almost identical, except for it being an Egyptian equivalent. I am very sad that Rick Riordan did not live up to his full potential. I will not be reading his books again.

Rating: 2.0 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. i totally agree with you. i read this book and threw it across my room from the disappointment. Percy Jackson was good, but this was just totally un-stellar!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, after rereading it, I discovered I think that is OK. Not great or excellent and certainly not as good as Percy Jackson, but I guess it was readable - a little confusing & slow - but OK.

    Anyway, thanks for visiting The Bookshelf! I hope you will continue to visit because I'll have a review of The Red Pyramid's sequel, The Throne of Fire, on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete