Sunday, May 15, 2011

Stats, Part II

Last August, I shared with you some of the various statistics of The Bookshelf and its viewers. Now it is May, one day before The Bookshelf’s first birthday, and I’m ready to share with you some new, more accurate stats about this, in my opinion, great book blog.

The Bookshelf has been receiving more pageviews, more comments, and more foreign visitors than ever before. Below, I have separated the various stats into different paragraphs:

Pageviews: They generally range from 30-65 per day, but they are very inconsistent. For example, on May 1st, I received 41 pageviews, then on May 2nd, 34 pageviews, and on May 3rd, only 16 pageviews. At first, I assumed days that I posted on would have a higher amount of pageviews than those that I didn’t. However, May 1st had the most pageviews out of any day in the first week of May, and I didn’t post anything that day. I didn’t post anything the day before, either. Oddly, I did post on both the 2nd and the 3rd. That’s some strange stuff. 

The Bookshelf on an iPhone
Search Engines and Keywords: About thirty viewers have found my blog through Google and another seven through Bing. I’m so happy to see that I’m “search-able”. That’s great (and in retrospect, a little creepy, too)! What I find strange is what search keywords are used to find my blog. Of course, there’s the obvious ones, like “the bookshelf jacob hopkins”, “the bookshelf jake hopkins”, and “the bookshelf jacob”. But then there are the odd ones, which people clearly weren’t intending to find a book review blog with. For example, “film reel tattoo” (I do have a picture of a film reel on the Books into Movies poll page), “happyface emond” (I wrote a review of this book), and “what is the book before the throne of fire” (which I blatantly answered here, “…from The Red Pyramid, the book before The Throne of Fire…”).

Web Browsers: Mozilla Firefox leads the competition with a little over 50% of the pageviews. Internet Explorer comes in second, with 36% of the pageviews. Apple’s Safari web browser is third, Google Chrome is fourth, and Java is trailing along at the end with fifth place.

Operating Systems: As expected, there’s the usuals, Microsoft Windows, Apple’s Macintosh, and the lesser known Linux. What I’m really excited about, is that I have 23 pageviews from iPods/iPhones and one pageview from both a Blackberry and an iPad. I think it’s so cool that someone is reading my blog on a portable device. They could be risking their lives, looking at their mobile devices while driving, for me and my book blog. Not that I recommend web browsing while driving….

Foreign Visitors: I saved the best for last! The majority of my blog viewers come from the U.S., but I also receive pageviews from several other countries. Shall I list them all? I shall: Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Germany, France, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, Pakistan, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, the United Kingdom and Vietnam. That means, including the U.S., I receive pageviews from twenty-five countries. Twenty-five! That’s twenty-two more than last August, when I published my first stats post. Excluding the U.S., Russia has the most amount of pageviews, followed by Canada in second and South Korea in third. Please, please, please keep visiting foreign visitors. I wish I could thank all of you individually. Hopefully, a big group thank you will suffice – please see a “Thank You!” message on the right side of the blog, under the blog archive.

I believe that I have covered all statistics that are made available to me. Now it’s time to prepare for tomorrow’s one year birthday. But before I leave, I must give a HUGE “thank you” to everyone everywhere who has visited, commented, or voted on The Bookshelf. I am honored to have had such a successful first year, but I would have been lost without you, the readers.

Thank you,
Jacob 

(images via and via and via)

No comments:

Post a Comment