Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Great Reads for this Spring

Ahhh. Spring. The flowers are blooming, the birds are chirping, and the sun is coming out of hibernation, glowing and spreading its warmth to Earth. What better time to enjoy nature, start fresh, or to dig into a great book? Never.

I’ve read, and heard about, so many great books lately that I feel that I must share them with you, the readers of The Bookshelf. I feel that I have compiled a list of books, new and old, fiction and true, to support you through the great season of spring. Books take you on adventures, provide you with guidance, and, well, are the greatest thing ever invented. Nothing compares to them. That’s right. Nothing. I hope you enjoy the following books as much as do and have a great spring reading and cherishing them.

Books that will make this spring the best one yet:

  •       Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys: I, unfortunately, have not had the opportunity to read this book yet. However, I have not heard a single negative review of this historical novel. This book, which is already racking up tons of honors and slots on bestseller lists, explores the life of Lithuanians being forced into labor-camps during the Soviets’ rule. These camps, which are very similar to the Nazi concentration camps, prove to be foul, horrible places. But as the reader follows the journey of Lina, a sixteen-year-old    Lithuanian, it is discovered that courage and determination can conquer the odds. This harrowing novel is on the top of my to-read list, and I hope to review it once I am finished.

  •          If I Stay by Gayle Forman: I read this book about a year ago, a month or so before the creation of The Bookshelf. Mia is an aspiring cellist and has hopes of making it into the prestigious Juilliard School, a preforming arts college in NYC. However, after a sudden car accident, Mia’s parents die, and she and her younger brother are taken to the hospital in critical condition. While comatose, Mia narrates the story, ultimately trying to make the decision to live or die. She is able to hear and see everything while she is in the coma and must face the difficult truth that if she were to live, her world would be completely different. This is a strong novel about life-altering decisions and willpower.

  •          White Cat by Holly Black: Cassel Sharpe comes from a family of cure workers: people who are able to control the lives of others. Each curse worker is given the ability to control different things in people such as, emotions, luck, dreams, memories, physical pain, et cetera, all with the touch of a bare hand. Cassel, however, is the only one in his family that was not born a curse worker. Though Cassel is viewed as a con man or criminal like curse workers are, he still feels like one because he murdered his best friend. The reader is taken on an adventure of cons, shady pasts, lies, and unclear intentions as we the readers, and Cassel himself, attempt to discover what caused him to kill his best friend. A stellar read – review coming soon.

  •           What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell: Another book that explores the art of lying and deception. Taking place after the end of World War II, Evie, an average ‘40s teen, is swept into a web of lies when her stepfather returns from war. Everything seems bright and cheery at first, but when Evie and her family go to Florida for a vacation, a whole other side is revealed to Evie of her once simple life. Many events occur that reveal shocking secrets about her once picture-perfect family. And when tragedy strikes, Evie must decide between what is right and what will ultimately save her family, whom, despite everything, she still cares for. The ending to this novel caught me by surprise as I’m sure the whole book will for you.

  •          A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle: I am actually currently reading this classic book, perfect for all ages. What begins with the simple life of Meg Murry, quickly sky rockets into a time-traveling, space-defying tale of a genius four-year-old, three mysterious old ladies, and a being called IT. Originally published in 1962, this timeless classic will take you on an adventure and touch your heart.  

Well, there you have it; your ultimate list of what to read this spring – because no spring would be perfect without the presence of books!

2 comments:

  1. OMG Jhop... you made a typo!!! In the photo of the Book If I Stay, it says the words "If I Stay" (of course) but in your post it says "If I Say"! oh no! Its ok, I forgive you for your faults :)
    ~CLAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLAM: Thank you sooooooo much for noticing the typo! Ergh! I'm so embarrassed and so ashamed! If I Stay is such a good book, too! I will forever be known as "Typo Jacob" in the book blogging universe. :(

    Looks like I'll have to get a new identity...
    (*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete